Snake Plant is the crop of choice for many people, specially grown indoors. There are a lot of questions, especially can snake plants live outside? Depending on where you grow snake plants, it can be grown outside or not. And below is the information related to this plant. We will give you information on everything you should know about snake plants and whether can snake plants live outside or not.
What Is A Snake Plant?
Snake Plants are trees native to West Africa. Characteristics of snake plants are:
- The body is flattened, succulent, and looks dangerously sharp. But the stem is very soft. It does not break the hand when we touch it.
- On the stem, there are 2 colors of green and yellow leaves along from the base to the tops. The snake plant when flowering blooms in clusters together, grows from the base and has round fruits
- Snake plant is a plant native to the tropics with up to 70 different species.
- Snake plants are usually planted indoors and there are many people interested in the question can snake plants live outside
- The plant also has the ability to take away toxic gases such as cigarette smoke and nitrous oxide gases, so it is very beneficial to provide more oxygen for human respiration.
Snake Plant Varieties?
According to statistics, there are about 70 different varieties of snake plants. To distinguish the varieties, it will be based on the shape, color of the leaves as well as how they grow. And here are the most snake plants:
- Bird’s nest snake plant: this type is also known by the other name Hahnii. It is relatively small with only 6 inches. The leaves grow in clusters almost like a bird’s nest or a cup.
- Cylinder snake plant: This snake plant has rounded leaves and is several feet long. This snake plant can especially be grown outdoors with leaves reaching outward like crowns.
- Laurentii Sansevieria: This is a very popular tall snake plant with green centered leaves and a yellow border.
- Twisted sister: The height of this snake plant is only about 15 inches. This plant is a hard-to-find plant characterized by yellow and twisted leaves.
- White snake plant: This Snake Plant variety is quite unique. The leaves of this variety have dark green eyebrows along with white longitudinal stripes.
- Rhino grass: This type of snake plant is grown mainly indoors because they are so beautiful. In particular, the vertical bunches of leaves will make people extremely excited.
- Sansevieria desertii: this snake plant has leaves that grow like a fan, so it is also extremely unique.
Snake Plant Benefits?
In addition to creating green space, helping to filter the air, snake plants also help bring health-related benefits. And here are the general benefits of snake plants:
- Air filtration
- Removal of toxic contaminants
- Help support increased mental health
- Very easy to grow and care for
- May help reduce allergies
- According to feng shui, it can help increase the positive energy of the space
- May help cure mild ailments
Can Snake Plants Grow Outside?
Can snake plants live outside? Yes, you can grow snake plants outdoors. In fact, snake plants can be grown in pots or directly in the soil. However, when growing a snake plant outdoors, it is necessary to have a warmer temperature so that the plant can thrive.
Thus, if you live in an area with an average temperature above 55 degrees Fahrenheit, you can completely grow snake plants outside. However, if the place where you plant the tree has an average temperature below 55 degrees Fahrenheit, then the plant is unlikely to grow outdoors and the tree will need more care. So now you have known can snake plants live outside or not
How To Propagate Snake Plant?
There are 3 main ways to breed tiger tongue plants.
- Divide a snake plant: Use a lush snake plant and divide it into parts. Use a sharp knife or pruning tool to cut off the tightly wrapped roots. For each split, make sure to have at least 3 leaves and 1 root attached. Plant the divided manures in containers or on the soil. Let’s water the parts cleanly. Remember to have drainage. At this time, the plant needs strong but indirect light to grow. Attention is watering dry soil.
- Root cuttings in water: You can make snake plant cuttings by placing the leaves in a jar of clean water. This leaf must be at least 6 inches tall (the higher the better). Then, place the end of the placed leaf in a jar or by containing at least an inch of water. Then place the jar in a bright place and regularly refresh the water in the jar every week. In about 2 months the roots will form. After the roots have formed, plant the rooted cuttings in a pot or in the soil.
- Start cuttings in soil: Cuttings on the soil are also a choice. Take a healthy snake plant leaf from the wall tree and usually the ones located near the base (cut with a knife or scissors). You should cut the leaves horizontally into pieces of about 2 inches.
How To Care For A Snake Plant?
How Often To Water Snake Plants?
Snake plants don’t need too much water to live and even very little water. When growing snake plants outdoors, the best time to water the plant is when the soil has completely dried out. Watering more or less will depend on the size of the plant as well as the humidity outside. Normally, snake plants may not need watering for 2 to 6 weeks.
When planting a snake plant outside, the best way to determine when to water it is when you notice that the leaves are starting to turn yellow or the top of the leaves seems to wilt.
Snake Plant Light Requirements
When growing a snake plant outside, it is best not to expose the plant to direct sunlight because the plant can dry out in just a few hours. Moreover, make sure there is enough light for the snake plant. If there is no light at all, it can wilt and shed leaves. When growing snake plants outdoors, the best location is the southern or western area. Here, there will be a combination of direct and indirect sunlight throughout the day.
Best Soil For Snake Plant
Snake plants can grow in mixed soils as long as they are well drained. When you plant a snake plant outdoors, you can easily plant it on garden soil and remember to make sure the soil has drainage.
Snake Plants Temperature
Since it is native to West Africa, this plant needs warm temperatures when grown outdoors. The best temperature range is 55 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. This plant is particularly sensitive to cold temperatures so it will not be possible to live more than a few days if the outdoor temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Snake Plant Drooping?
One of the reasons your snake plant Drooping is watering too much water. When the plant is watered too much, or the place where the plant is planted does not have a drainage system, the roots will become waterlogged and rot. At this time, the leaves of the snake plant will be destroyed when the roots rot. Watering should only be done when the soil is completely dry, and each watering should only be watered in a thin layer of about 3 inches. The biggest weakness of a snake plant is its inability to withstand too much water. Therefore, avoid water logging because it can cause rot and cause leaves to fall.
Why Is My Snake Plant Turning Yellow?
While there will be plenty of reasons why snake plant leaves turn yellow, the most common ones are due to the plant’s lack of water, root rot, or receiving too much direct light. Another reason is that erratic outside temperatures, nutritional deficiencies or pests are also what cause snake plant leaves to turn yellow.
In general, don’t worry too much when you see the leaves turn yellow. Be calm to find the reason and then find the reason and fix the yellow leaf condition so that the plant becomes healthier.
Is Snake Plant Toxic To Cats?
Yes, snake plants are toxic to cats. Snake plants contain a substance called saponins. This substance is a poison that the plant secretes to defend as well as protect itself. If you grow snake plants, take care to prevent your cat from ingesting this plant.
When the cat bites the leaves of a snake plant, the first thing will be that the cat feels the bitter taste of the saponin poison released. Your cat will probably get sick or may have severe symptoms.
In fact, because the leaves taste bitter, cats will not overeat. Thus, cats are only infected with a little toxin, so it will not be fatal. Therefore, your cat may have symptoms or illnesses between 1 and 2 days.
Can snake plants live outside? The answer is Yes. When growing outdoors, there will be certain requirements for watering, temperature and lighting. So, try to remember the ways to grow snake plants outdoors to be the most effective.
Above is the best sharing about “Can snake plants live outside” from https://www.wightmansfarms.com/. Hope you are satisfied with this information.
If you want to update more information, contact us:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +1 973-425-9819
Add: 1111 Mt Kemble Rd. Morristown, NJ 07960, United States